Los Angeles Slip and Fall Lawyers
How To Avoid Slip & Fall Injuries
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common personal injury lawsuits. A slip and fall accident occurs when a person trips over or slips on something on the ground or floor, and is then injured after falling down. Injuries to the back, hands, legs and head are common. Legal action is usually commenced after such an accident and compensation for civil claims in slip and fall injuries can be significant. There are a number of different ways to prevent slip and fall injuries, although the steps taken will depend upon the conditions encountered in the business, workplace, public area, or private property in question. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, call Los Angeles slip and fall lawyers at S&S Legal Group and our experienced personal injury attorneys will assist you.
Causes Of Slip & Fall Injuries
Slip and fall accidents usually happen in problem areas, such as walking surfaces that have water, ice, grease, or food on them. They occur from poorly maintained walking surfaces and in poorly lit areas. Both the property owner and the person walking have a responsibility for preventing a slip and fall accident. The property owner has a duty to keep the property safe and anyone who encounters a dangerous walking surface must exercise reasonable care to avoid hurting themselves. The five major causes of slip and fall accidents are:
- lack of slip resistance on walking surfaces
- poor walking surface conditions
- poor visibility
- lack of handrails or guardrails
- poor accessibility
Property owners and businesses can limit their liability by following these tips:
- Floors should be kept dry and clean.
- Provide warning signs for floors and areas that are wet.
- If wet processes are used, sufficient drainage should be established. Mats or other dry standing places should be provided, as well as waterproof footgear.
- All walking surfaces should be kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Aisles and passageways should be kept clear and well maintained, with no obstructions. Floor plugs should be installed for power equipment so cords do not run across walkways.
- All exists and accesses to exits should be kept clear of obstructions.
- Make sure all spills are reported and cleaned-up promptly.
- Use no-skid waxes, and in slippery areas such as restrooms, coat surfaces with grit to create traction.
- Only use ladders that have been properly maintained. Do not use stools, chairs, or boxes in place of ladders.
- Replace or re-stretch carpets that have come loose or are bulging.
- Temporary electrical cords that cross aisles should be taped or anchored to the floor.
- Clean up cluttered work or living areas.
- Provide good lighting for walkways, work areas, and all areas the public or customers use.
- Repair uneven floor surfaces that could cause trips.
- Promptly remove all snow and ice from outside walkways and parking lots. Use salt or other de-icing products to help prevent slipping.
- Use and maintain absorbent mats at all entrances to prevent build-up of tracked-in water or snow in inclement weather.
- Establish a schedule for regular inspection of floors and walkways.
Contact a Los Angeles Slip & Fall Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents can result in serious injury. However, there are ways to reduce the risk of a slip and fall on your property. If you are a property owner and someone has been injured in a slip and fall accident, or if you or a loved one is the victim of a slip and fall, call the experienced Los Angeles slip and fall lawyers at S&S Legal Group at 800-957-9898 for a free evaluation of your case.